Monday, October 24, 2011

24 October - Memory Mark II

As I've now entered my last full week in Berlin, I've begun to make an effort to tick off all those tourist 'must-sees' that have been nagging at me from the pages of the Germany Lonely Planet guide book. It occurred to me yesterday however, as I was descending the dome of the Berlin Reichstag that I was possibly undertaking this task for the wrong reasons. Was I only visiting these sites so as to arm myself with future conversational content when asked about my time away? The need for 'holiday content' became obvious to me last week when a fellow student asked for some tips on the best things to see and do in Poland. However, when attempting to reel off the most impressive historical and architectural sites, my memory completely failed me. That is because my favourite memory of Poland centers around a stew.

Now, growing up in Queensland in the 1980s, I was no stranger to the taste of stew. And whilst mum's Ox Tail concoction is still garnering rave reviews throughout the great North East, I for one couldn't even look at it, let alone eat it. So, about ten years ago, when asked to dinner at a Polish friend's apartment in Warsaw, to try her mother's bigos, I was less than excited. Naturally I didn't wish to offend my hosts, so, holding my breath, I tried the hearty mix. If a taste could embody the exact opposite of the Brisbane suburbs, this was it. Rich, smokey, spicy and utterly delicious. To top it all off, we were then served tea - without a milk jug in sight! 'Where's the milk?' I whispered to (then boyfriend), L. He was smart enough to gather that the slice of lemon was intended for the teacup in this part of the world. What a revelation! I thought about that stew and exotic milk-less tea for the duration of my holiday. 

As the above story indicates, I have no control over the useless information my brain chooses to recall. Therefore, I've decided to nominate the things I want to remember most about Berlin. I am retaining the right to add to this list in my final week;

1) The light surrounding the eery and wonderful Tempelhof airport at dusk. If I could take the hue of that light and put it in my pocket, I'd be forever happy.
2) A dinner conversation with a group of three new German friends (who, collectively could speak five languages), about the complexity and joy of language. I was even able to contribute by explaining the use of 'dative case' as it related to German grammar. 
3) The first time I could understand a conversation in German. Similarly, the first time I could order my lunch without the cashier answering me in English.
4) Stocking the fridge of my apartment and then eating an entire packet of Pfeffernüsse, while sitting in bed reading and gazing out the window.
5) My astonishment and joy at finding old photographs and bits of DDR memorabilia at the Mauerpark Market.
6) Exiting my local UBahn stop to be greeted by the below view everyday, and still smiling at it;



How do I make this (seemingly) banal list of memories into fascinating tales adventure? Perhaps I should consult the remaining 'must-sees' in my final week;
Tuesday; eat currywurst
Yep, that should do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment