Saturday, October 1, 2011

2 October - And we're at the half way mark

Early October has rolled around and in Germany the people are gearing up to celebrate Tag der Deutschen Einheit (Day of German Unity). In Melbourne the vomit is being hosed from the streets following another Grand Final, and everybody has one less hour to nurse their hangovers with the turning forward of the clocks. Here in Berlin, I am celebrating the half way mark in the great German adventure. So, time for some reflection and analysis.Things that have surprised me thus far;

1) Men check you out in this town. I'm not talking about the way men check you out in Turkey. That just makes you want to run home and scrub yourself with an exfoliating mitt. The German check out goes something like this; man of similar age and fashion sensibility is walking towards you. There is eye contact. There is more eye contact. Okay, this is getting weird now. Stop looking in my eyes! KE looks to the ground. What this scenario acknowledges is 'I think you're cute. And, I think you're cute. We're not going to talk, but, I would like you to know that I find you attractive'. It's a wonderful non-sleazy way to make somebody feel good about themselves. Now that I'm used to it, I suggest that Australian men get their act together in this department. Just don't get all Australian and ask the girl out! It totally defeats the purpose.

2) I miss my friends much more than I expected to. Of course I expected to miss my friends, but, I didn't expect to cry upon the receipt of certain emails. Nor did I expect that when couple M and M visited me recently, that I would get massive joy from hearing myself called 'Eckers' and 'KE'. Nor did I expect to well up when (male) M gave me a big bear hug or when I could still smell the perfume in my flat from (female) M after they had departed.  

3) I haven't switched the television on once. I love television. The more mind-numbing, the more I love it. My house mate can attest to more than one evening spent staring glassy eyed at 'Farmer Wants a Wife'. This was always my way to try and free my mind from the day's work events. I realise now, instead of making me relaxed, this type of television was actually sending out evil signals to deplete my brain cells and make me buy more McDonalds.


4) Due to the above mentioned lack of television, I'm now listening to music again. Thanks to a finely curated compilation gifted by a friend on my departure, I'm now re-examining my music and seeking out new sounds.  


5) I'm enjoying German lessons. This has surprised me most of all. I'm enjoying the challenge of learning how words work. I'm enjoying trying to make sounds that are totally alien to my Australian tongue. The ability to understand overheard scraps of sentences has caused me to smile broadly and give myself a pat on the back. I'm also very aware that if only I put in a bit more effort, this is something I could actually be good at. Note to self; put in more effort.

6) I'm able to fill entire days without actually having a job to go to. I remember when my parents retired, I asked 'what is it you do all day?' Mum replied that they'd managed to fill their days just fine thank you very much. I might not have lawn bowls or golf on my side but I'm finding that reading, writing, walking and going to art galleries is a very satisfying way to wile away the hours. It is this point that started a discussion between (female) M and myself about how to earn a living without actually going to work. It was decided that we would start an all female rock band - heavily derived from the '90s riot grrrls of our youth. So friends, I expect to see you all at the Tote in approximately 5 weeks time for our debut. In the meantime, here's a little something to warm you all up;


 

I need to make a confession. This entire post was just a really poor excuse to insert the above clip. Well it is amazing, admit it!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment