Thursday, October 13, 2011

13 October - Melbourne, do you still love me?

Amongst the great songs on my Berlin music compilation is a sweet and knowing tune by Frida Hyvönen called 'London'. I love the canny way she describes that bleak city; 'The way you hate me is better than love and I'm head over heels'. It got me thinking about my own relationships with the cities I've lived in. 

Unlike Frida, I was not head over heels for London. If I were to describe our two years together, London and I looked a little something like this;

Ike is London and I am Tina

London kicked my arse. To my 21 year old mind, London was glamorous, a little dangerous and about as far away from Brisbane as I could realistically get. We had some nice times together certainly. But, the good times were mostly for the cameras. Behind closed doors, London made me feel insecure, powerless and desperately lonely. As per the script, I stuck it out in the hope it would get better. But, as numerous tele-movies can attest, it never does. An expiring visa forced our breakup, and, suffering from something like Stockholm Syndrome at the time, I was actually sad to leave. I couldn't imagine how I'd ever again find such a powerful and handsome city to call my own. Then I met Melbourne.

Johnny is Melbourne and I am Vanessa

It was love at first sight. Still bruised from the London experience I found it hard to believe that a love like this existed. I loved Melbourne with all my heart and, it loved me back. It could never give me the glamour of London, but I could rest assured that it would bring me chicken soup if I was sick. It would do the dishes without being asked. It would be loyal, kind, respectful and would spoon me in bed at night. Nearing our 10 year anniversary however, complacency had given way to a small amount of contempt. So, Melbourne and I talked it over and I suggested that maybe we take a short break - you know, be open to seeing other cities. So, I started dating Berlin.
 
 Pete is Berlin and I am Kate

Berlin has been the type of romance one tends to have on holidays. It's a relationship full of wonderful and exciting experiences that will fill the memory scrapbook for years to come. But, while we've had a whole lot of fun together, the depth of feeling is absent. We make a hot couple, but we're going to eventually tire of each other. I've realised that Berlin is the city that will cause a wry smile when I'm safely back in the arms of my one, true love. 
 
So there you have it Melbourne. I've tried the open relationship but it's you I'm pretty sure I want to spend the rest of my life with. Will you have me back?

No comments:

Post a Comment